Monday, February 28, 2011

Have you heard about Untappd and New Beer Thursday?

I didn't write a blog last week so I figured I would write two this week.

I have been using Untappd.com on my phone to track the beer that I am drinking, and I really enjoy this application. It is a web based application that is social media for beer nerds like myself combining aspects of Foursquare with drinking games while keeping you connected to your friends.

Though Untappd I discovered there was a group of people encouraging people to engage in New Beer Thursday. Being a big fan on trying beers that I have never had I decided to quickly embrace this as soon as I found out about it. In two more weeks I will have earned the New Beer Thursday badge.

My only wish for untapped is that I could add all the beers I tried before I discovered untappd. As my followers may or may not know I am a major contributor to the Beer Wall. A couple of my friends and I have been collecting and drinking beer at my friend Tim's house for about 10 years now and we have about 5,000 unique beers on the wall right now.

We have rules. In order for a beer to be on the wall the beer must be drank at the wall's location. A beer cannot already be on the wall. Each beer in unique in that the bottles are all different. There are some beers that have made it on the wall multiple times because they were in different sizes or the bottles were completely redesigned. We also don't have Bud and many other mega brewers on the wall. The Beer Wall has been mentioned or featured in brewing publications such as Yankee Brew News.

If you haven't figured out by now, I really enjoy beer and I tend to be a bit competitive, which may explain why I choose to blog about beer and running.  If I could add my past beer history I would reach legendary status immediately, but I think it is going to be a lot of fun starting from scratch!

No comments:

Post a Comment